Thursday, April 23, 2015

Northland Changed My Life

I've been away from Northland for 5 years, but I realize that a piece of my heart will always be there.  There have been so many people from that place that God has used in my life to change my heart and help me grow as a follower of Jesus Christ.

I came in as a freshman in 2006  with a bitter heart and a lacking desire to be at a "Bible College."  I had the opportunity to play golf for Coach Dennis Scott and I did everything I could to be the best golfer I could be.  Health issues and a bad attitude kept me from being the best, but Coach Scott was always there to encourage me and point me in the right direction.  He was a great coach and a great adviser throughout my college years.  I'm thankful for Coach Scott.

There was one golf trip that Coach Scott couldn't go on, so  coach Pete Wehry took us instead.  Coach Wehry was the Dean of Students at the time and I was lucky enough to draw the short straw and share a hotel room with him.  The first night I was reading a coaching book called "Wooden" and that was enough to spark a conversation with this Peter guy.  Ever since that trip, Coach Wehry has been one of my best friends and wisest mentors.  I couldn't even count the number of times that he opened his office door to me just to hang out or do homework.  Many of those times turned into discipleship sessions where I was struggling and cried my heart out to him.  He just listened and then would point me in the right direction and pray with me.  He gave me my first coaching "job" and has been there for me ever since.  A group of us basketball guys used to skip "freshman seminar" and go over to Joel Widmer's house and watch TV.  One day we skipped and Coach Wehry was speaking that day.  He talked to us - we never skipped again.  He was the true definition of a coach.  I'm thankful for Coach Wehry.

In 2007 Coach Wehry took over as the head men's basketball coach and athletic director, thus leaving his post as the Dean of Students.  The guy that took over for him was Paul Whitt.  I am the luckiest student alive to have had these two men as Dean of Students because there is no doubt in my mind that I would've been kicked out of Northland about 20x if it wasn't for these two guys believing in me. No one else could have understood why we had to miss curfew...by 7 hours....on our way back to campus from the Sweet 16 in Detroit.  He also had this amazing "man cave" at his house and I'm not sure if there is a person I have watched more sporting events with than this man.  His family took me in and made me feel like their own son.  I can't even express how grateful I am for Coach Whitt and his family.  I'm thankful for Coach Whitt.

At Northland, I built relationships with people who are my lifelong friends.  They grew with me and challenged me in every aspect of my life.  My best friend, Nathan Pettit is getting married in July.  He was the best man in my wedding and now I am honored to be the best man in his.  I still remember the first time I met him, but I'm going to save that story for my best man speech.  He is the true definition of a friend.  I'm thankful for Nathan.

These stories could go on for ever because there were so many amazing people at Northland.  The people there are what made Northland special.  I could go on and on about the countless people that have impacted my life and remain close friends.  All of us were challenged by the word of God every day by people who genuinely cared for us. We were around gospel-centered people constantly and were loved by everyone on that campus.  My life changed because of Northland and the people that were there.  It's hard to hear about the adversity they are facing right now, but I'm thankful that the heart of Northland will never be closed.  That university loved and served me well and in return I was taught how to serve and love others.  I'm thankful for Northland.


No comments:

Post a Comment