Monday, March 9, 2015

Remaining Content During the Coaching Carousel of March Madness

Be content.  Every year, right around this time, I begin to dream my biggest dreams.  It seems natural for a basketball coach to do a lot of dreaming during March Madness, doesn't it?  I mean, every night there is a game on television that comes down to the buzzer when coaches & players run around like little kids, filled to the brim with excitement.  I can't help but think about what it will be like when I get to experience those emotions someday.  The emotions of winning a conference championship and earning a birth in the NCAA Tournament.  The emotions of celebrating with young men who worked so hard for so long to achieve something together.  The emotions of climbing a ladder and cutting down a small piece of net that symbolizes you are the best.  The emotions of going into the locker room and realizing that we just accomplished something that very few people ever have the chance to do.  I want to experience that someday!  What coach doesn't?

It's no secret that I want to be a division 1 coach someday.  In fact, I often times hold imaginary timeouts and pregame talks in my living room (when my wife isn't home) preparing myself for that moment when the game or our season is on the line.  As seasons are coming to an end there are so many coaches on the move.  Whether it's a promotion to a new job or getting fired from an old job, the coaching carousel at every level of college basketball is spinning fast this month.  Who will get what job?  Who do I know at that school?  Who do I know that knows someone that knows someone?  How can I break into this business?  Be honest coaches - you all ask those questions trying to figure out how you could land a position.  I'm guilty of it, especially this time of year. But I know that having a mindset of "what's next" isn't always the best one to have and I have learned (and continue to learn) how to deal with those emotions of trying to get the next job.

Currently, I am an assistant coach at Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC.  It's a small school that is in only it's 3rd year of intercollegiate athletics.  I have been here all 3 years and have enjoyed my part in building this program.  I make a decent salary.  I work for a great head coach.  Our staff is wonderful.  Our facilities are some of the best (if not the best) in the state of South Carolina.  But I always find myself at this time of year asking, "what's next?" questioning if I truly am content in my current position.  Why is that?

It's a constant battle to remain content.  I have found that reading through Philippians 4 every March helps me understand God's call for me as a coach.  I would highly recommend reading this regardless of your position, level, or circumstance in coaching.  There are so many great things that Paul encourages us with as he writes.  The first verse that always pops out to me is verse 4.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!"

- I'm reminded to find my joy in the Lord, not in my job, salary, or circumstance.

The second verse that always helps me and convicts me as a coach are verses 6-7.  Paul tells us not to worry, but instead to pray and be thankful.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

- I'm reminded that I need to place everything in God's hands.  

Then in verses 8-9 he tells us a list of good things to think on.  If and when we think about these things he encourages us to put them into practice & God's peace will be given to us.  That is so encouraging to me to know that God is on my side.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

- I'm reminded that I need to keep my mind focused on things that are going to serve and help others around me.

The next section of the passage (verses 10-20) talk about how God will then provide for us.  I'm always uplifted and rejuvenated after reading this, especially verses 11-13.  The words in these verses make me thankful for a God who cares about me and always has my back.

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

- I'm reminded that even if I want to be coaching at a higher level - I need to be content where God has me because he is shaping me and growing me to become a great coach in the future.  He gives us strength to be content.

It is so easy as a coach to always be looking for the next best thing, the greener pasture.  My challenge that I place on myself is to focus on God and the list that Paul gave us to think about and let things fall into place.  It is so easy to worry or be anxious about moving up the coaching ladder.  Instead, I have learned to focus on being the best I can be in the current position that God has placed me in.  It's not always easy, but it's necessary.  Embrace the current process and do things daily that will continue to make you better.  I'm confident that if God wants me in another position he will open the door, but until that happens I need to continue to be content where I'm at.  I'm thankful that God has placed me at a great university with great people.  

If you are a young coach looking for a job, a current coach looking to move up, or an old coach that may have just been fired - read Philippians 4 and meditate on the truths and promises that God gives us when it comes to being content.  It's powerful and I truly believe that God blesses us when we find contentment in Him!

Happy March Madness.


2 comments:

  1. I've been meditating on this lately. Thanks for the post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great article! I constantly have to remind myself that this team/program is who God has called me to, and He expects me to be faithful and treat them like the "dream job." I'm always tempted to look else where. Thanks for reminding me and other coaches that God's timing is always best. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete