Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Encouraging Others

Nothing is more powerful than our words.  The words we say can impact someone's life in a great and mighty way.  As coaches, it is crucial for us to realize this and emphasize the importance of encouragement amongst our team.  Not only do we have to make sure our players are mindful of their words, but we have to be an example of this in our own lives.  Paul writes in his letter to the church at Ephesus about the importance of their speech.  "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." - Ephesians 4:29.  This is a powerful verse.  Author and leader of Sovereign Grace Ministries, C.J. Mahaney, describes this verse in further detail in his book, Humility: True Greatness.  Mahaney writes, "'Let no...but only...'  There's a certain kind of speech that's never to come from our mouths, and another kind that should be in everything we say."  I was taken back when I read that because it is true that God is very precise in telling us what kind of speech we need to have.  As a coach, I know that I am not always saying things to my players that is probably giving them grace or uplifting them.  I know we can't be perfect, but I want to strive to be that kind of coach.  In order to effectively communicate like this, we need to know each individual player on our team.  Talk to them, get to know them as a person, and figure out in what ways we can best communicate with them.  We need to be able to edify each player with appropriate and timely words.  And finally, the biggest area that I need work in and probably most coaches need work in is: How do I edify my players when I am trying to correct them?  Every area of correction needs to be directed to the gospel.  If we can't give our players hope in the gospel, then our correction is going to be wasted.  I have been really convicted of my words as a coach, and I know that I need this more than anybody.  I strongly encourage you to read Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney if you get the chance.  It is a great book and most of this has come from it.  Keep coaching "coram deo" and remember your purpose as a coach is to ultimately bring glory to God, not yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment